Learn the tips and tricks you need to become a brilliant visual note-taker at this hands-on class with award-winning illustrator and scribe Merlin Evans.
We know instinctively how much visuals can help us learn, understand and remember things – think symbols and diagrams – and this is backed up by the science. Studies show that more than 80% of learning occurs through visual means and that our ability to retain information is six times greater when there are visuals as well as text.
On this masterclass you’ll discover the power of visual note-taking, ready to use in numerous contexts, from your workplace to your art practice and personal journals.
What you'll do
- Learn about the amazing 5000+ year history of visual note-taking.
- Learn how to use this method of illustration for maximum effect, so that you finish the afternoon able to take professional visual notes on any topic for work or personal use.
- Learn the design principles of layout, hierarchy of information and narrative flow.
- Learn how to create simple icons from an alphabet of A-Z shapes so you can draw the core items you need to visualise, including animals, objects and people.
- Learn how to use headers, containers and embellishments to communicate complicated ideas easily and quickly.
- Learn the basics of colour design and gradients of interest to direct your viewers’ eyes, and create visually rich and well-designed notes.
- Finish by creating a graphic recording of a TED talk, so you have a scribe example for your portfolio.
What you'll need
- A4 cartridge paper or sketchbook
- 2 sheets A3 white paper
- Post-it notes
- HB pencil
- Black sharpie or felt tip pen
- Highlighter pen
- Red and green felt tip pens (more colours optional)
- Access to a printer to print handouts
No prior experience needed.
Need to know
Participants will receive handouts a week before the masterclass and login details the day before – these will be sent to the email address linked to your Paypal account so please email email@example.com as soon as possible from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
Please read the Guidance for Participants for further information.
About the tutor
Merlin Evans is an award-winning illustrator, scribe and educator who’s been teaching at House of Illustration since 2011. Merlin specialises in scientific illustration, and currently holds the post of Medical Illustrator in Residence at the Centre of Performance Science, run by Royal College of Music and Imperial College London. She has lectured internationally and taught at numerous art colleges, schools and universities across the UK. Selected previous clients include Tate Modern, The British Library, The Design Museum, Central Saint Martins, NHS, John Lewis, Bloomsbury Books, Latitude Festival and Time Out.