Get the inside scoop on illustrating picture books from professional children’s book illustrator Claire Alexander. In this afternoon on Zoom you’ll sketch out a short storyboard, telling a simple story with dynamic pictures, ready to make a mini dummy book of your own.
Claire will show how she illustrated The Snowbear, written by Sean Taylor, and explain how to choose which points to illustrate in a story, using layouts to create pace and build drama.
Using a simple poem or story provided, you’ll create your own sixteen-page thumbnail storyboard which can be made into a mini dummy book. You’ll also learn more about Claire’s own work and find out how to present your ideas to publishers.
During the masterclass you will:
- Gain insights into the picture book creation process.
- Learn about layouts, pace and drama.
- Develop story building skills.
- Create a storyboard.
- Gain information on presenting to publishers.
How the masterclass works:
- The live online class will take place 1-5pm BST on Saturday 10 July 2021.
- Participants will receive handouts a week before the course/masterclass start date and login details the day before – these will be sent to the email address linked to your Paypal account so please email email@example.com as soon as possible from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
- Please note that our online masterclasses are designed to be experienced in real time. We are unable to provide recordings of the masterclass to attendees or those who are unable to attend, except for pre-arranged accessibility reasons.
- Please download the Guidance for Participants and check our FAQs for more information.
You will need:
- A4 paper
- Pencil sharpener
- Coloured pencils (optional)
Experience: Some prior experience of drawing needed.
About the tutor:
Claire Alexander is an award-winning London-based author and illustrator with over 15 years’ experience creating picture books and over a decade’s experience teaching her bespoke Picture Book courses. Recent collaborations include illustrations for Sean Taylor’s Humperdink Our Elephant Friend and The Snowbear. Other titles include The Best Bit of Daddy’s Day and Monkey and the Little One, Small Florence and Lucy and the Bully.
Feedback from Claire's previous masterclasses:
“Claire’s an inspirational teacher… Her [classes] are fantastic for focusing on specific skills and are always tailored to include the things most relevant to the students’ own projects and aspirations.” Loretta Schauer, signed by literary agents Darley Anderson, subsequently published by Little Tiger Press, Paragon and HaperCollins
“I was so impressed with your students – their work put some college courses to shame. I have so many illustrators who apply to join my agency who would benefit from your tuition.” Lorraine Owen, The Organisation Illustration Agency