Learn to use storyboards to create video, animation, graphic novels, picture books or advertising at this afternoon masterclass with Bill Wright.
Discover why storyboards are crucial across many fields and how they can lead your work in brilliant directions, providing mystery, mood, suspense, excitement, humour and surprise.
In this masterclass you’ll be introduced to storyboard essentials: character placement, framing, point of view, blocking, scale, sequential mix, cutaways and proximity.
You’ll learn the principles and concepts behind great storyboards, then get move on to practical methods to make your own, whatever medium you’re working in.
During the masterclass you will:
- Learn how crucial storyboard elements help tell a story, even in a single image.
- Review the principles of storytelling.
- Learn about sequences of narrative images and how to move your story forward.
- Get in on tricks of the trade, like quick ways to achieve dramatic compositions or compose a Dutch angle.
- Create a storyboard for a brief sequence of a story, post it for review.
- Benefit from group and individual feedback on your work.
How the masterclass works:
- The live online masterclass will take place on Zoom (please note that all timings are BST).
- Participants will receive handouts a week before the masterclass and login details the day before – these will be sent to the email address linked to your Paypal account so please email email@example.com as soon as possible from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
You will need:
- A4 paper
- A4 marker pad
- A4 tracing paper pad
- HB, 2B and 6B pencils
- Pencil sharpener
- Fine-liner pen
- Magic tape in a dispenser (plastic dispenser, comes with some rolls)
- Scanner or camera for digitally capturing your work to share
Experience: No prior experience needed.
About the tutor:
Bill Wright has drawn thousands of storyboard images for film, advertising and picture books over the last two decades in both the UK and the US, including recently on the BBC and Netflix Dracula. He’s taught on Central Saint Martins’ Illustration BA for over 12 years and his online DrawColorClick classes attract thousands of students. He’s currently coaching mentees on our Pathways programme.
Course dates and booking:
This masterclass takes place on Saturday 17 April 2021, 1-5pm BST. This masterclass is for those aged 18+ only.
Please note that our online masterclasses are designed to be experienced in real time. We are unable to provide recordings of the masterclass to attendees or those who are unable to attend, except for pre-arranged accessibility reasons.
IMPORTANT: Your ticket confirmation will go to the email address linked to your Paypal account. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
Please download and read the Guidance for Participants document below before booking your place.
Any questions? Please check our FAQs.