Join Merlin Evans for this concise, informative and hands-on self-care masterclass designed specifically for illustrators, artists and creative practitioners.
The first half of the session will provide practical tools and tricks to prevent both mental burnout and physical injuries. In the second half, you’ll create a self-care mini-zine, tailored to your own process and practice, illustrating the tips you’ve just learnt.
Everyone will be encouraged to share their concertina zines on Padlet during the masterclass, turning individual zines into a collective self-care kit from which all participants can benefit.
During the course/masterclass you will:
- Understand how injuries happen and what types of injuries often affect artists.
- Practice simple exercises to correct posture, reduce fatigue and alleviate pain.
- Use breathing exercises and meditation to free the mind of anxiety and imposter syndrome.
- Learn how to make a mini concertina book at home in a day.
- Translate practical information into lively illustrations by fusing text and image.
- End the day with your own self-care mini-zine so you can keep this new wealth of knowledge to hand and apply it to your practice in future.
- Leave the masterclass with tools to ensure that you can continue to take care of the most important drawing instrument you have – your body.
How the masterclass works:
- The live online masterclass will take place on Zoom (please note that all timings are BST).
- Participants will receive handouts a week before the masterclass and login details the day before – these will be sent to the email address linked to your Paypal account so please email email@example.com as soon as possible from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
You will need:
- A3 white cartridge paper
- A3 card in your favourite colour
- HB and 2B pencil
- Pencil sharpener
- Cotton thread/string in your favourite colour
- PVA glue/strong glue stick
- Long ruler
- Black India ink
- Red and blue crayons
- Blue crayon
- Comfortable chair
- Cushion for support
Experience: Some prior experience of drawing needed.
About the tutor:
Merlin Evans is an award-winning illustrator, scribe and educator who’s been teaching at House of Illustration since 2011. Merlin specialises in scientific illustration, and currently holds the post of Medical Illustrator in Residence at Guy’s Pathology Museum, Kings College, London. She has lectured internationally and taught at numerous art colleges, schools and universities across the UK. Selected previous clients include Tate Modern, The British Library, The Design Museum, Central Saint Martins, NHS, John Lewis, Bloomsbury Books, Latitude Festival and Time Out. Read our Q&A with Merlin.
Feedback from Merlin's previous courses:
"Merlin was a fantastic tutor and managed to fit in a load of content without it feeling rushed. Thanks!"
"The tutor was fantastic – very focused, helpful, engaging and enthusiastic."
"Merlin you were a fantastic tutor; clear, inspiring and supportive. I found the course a great fit for what I was hoping to achieve and am quietly confident I’ll be making time for the pleasures of illustration in weekly living from hereon-in. Thank you."
Course dates and booking:
This masterclass takes place on Sunday 23 May 2021, 1-5pm BST. This masterclass is for those aged 18+ only.
Please note that our online masterclasses are designed to be experienced in real time. We are unable to provide recordings of the masterclass to attendees or those who are unable to attend, except for pre-arranged accessibility reasons.
IMPORTANT: Your ticket confirmation will go to the email address linked to your Paypal account. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
Please download and read the Guidance for Participants document below before booking your place.
Any questions? Please check our FAQs.