Make your very own notebooks and sketchbooks on this afternoon masterclass with award-winning artist and illustrator Merlin Evans.
You will learn the principles of bookbinding to make a 3-hole pamphlet chapbook, mixed paper notebooks and a professional hardback accordion sketchbook.
You will explore paper types, stitching, binding and ways to adapt your bookbinding skills to your projects and customise your books to suit your style and needs. You’ll finish the day with a stack of beautiful handmade books.
This session is ideal for artists, illustrators, designers or those wishing to learn the art of making beautiful notebooks and sketchbooks to sell or gift to friends and family.
What you'll need
- Ruler (ideally 30cm+)
- Spray mount or glue stick
- Sewing needle (any type)
- 2m thick cotton thread or bookbinding yarn
- Cutting mat or surface to safely cut paper on
- 1 roll or a few A3 sheets of wrapping or decorative paper
- 4 sheets of A3 coloured card
- 25-30 sheets of white A3 cartridge paper
- 20 sheets A4 cartridge paper
- 20 sheets A4 lined paper or dotted graph paper
- 1 sheet A1 for each accordion sketchbook you wish to make (180-220gsm)
- A3 mount-board or hard card in colour of your choice (any type)
- Access to Zoom and Padlet
No prior experience is needed.
Need to know
This live online class will take place during one afternoon and include real-time exercises, demonstrations, group discussion and feedback.
Participants will receive Zoom and Padlet login details the day before the class – these will be sent to the email address linked to your Paypal account so please email email@example.com as soon as possible from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
About the tutor
Merlin Evans is an award-winning illustrator, scribe and educator. Merlin specialises in scientific illustration, and currently holds the post of Medical Illustrator in Residence at the Centre of Performance Science, run by Royal College of Music and Imperial College London. She has lectured internationally and taught at numerous art colleges, schools and universities across the UK. Selected previous clients include Tate Modern, The British Library, The Design Museum, Central Saint Martins, NHS, John Lewis, Bloomsbury Books, Latitude Festival and Time Out.
“I liked the relaxed approach, the lack of pressure, the friendliness and the clarity of explanation. Overall it was excellent!”
“The course was welcoming, judgement-free, and full of expert information. I learned a lot of new processes which I'll definitely explore further.”
“Merlin's course was informative and interesting and pitched at exactly the right level. I learnt so many new techniques and it was also good to be introduced to artists I'd never heard of.”
Gift this masterclass
If you would like to gift a place on this course to someone, we can send you an e-ticket for them by email.
How it works
- Buy a ticket below.
- Forward your email booking confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the name and email address of the person you will be gifting it to.
- We will send you a personalised e-ticket by email within 4 working days.
- You can choose to print the voucher or email it to your recipient.
Please note that we will need to receive your email by 5pm GMT on 16 December 2021 to send your e-ticket before 24 December 2021.
E-tickets for bookings made after this date will be sent out on 4 January 2022.