Join award-winning illustrator and educator Merlin Evans for a fun and gentle introduction to illustration over 4 weeks on Zoom.
You’ll work through a series of mini creative projects, exploring a different technique in each session, from drawing to typography, printmaking to paper engineering.
How the course works:
- Live online classes will take place on Monday evenings and include real-time exercises, tutorials, demonstrations, group discussion and feedback.
- We use Padlet for our courses, where all course materials will be held, including recordings from each week and a student gallery for uploading your artwork between sessions.
- Participants will receive handouts a week before the course start date and login details the day before – these will be sent to the email address linked to your Paypal account so please email email@example.com as soon as possible from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
You will need:
- A4 cartridge paper
- Sketchbook (optional)
- Dark coloured A4 card
- Thick cartridge or watercolour paper
- Carbon paper
- Dotted and/or graph paper
- Black felt pen or biro
- 2H, HB and 2B pencils
- Indian ink
- Pack of bamboo kebab sticks
- Small set of nylon paintbrushes
- Tube of white gouache paint
- Small set of watercolours
- Collage materials
- Glue stick
Participants will receive handouts in a Padlet link a week before the course start date and login details the day before.
Experience: No prior experience needed.
About the tutor:
Merlin Evans is an award-winning illustrator, scribe and educator who’s been teaching at House of Illustration since 2011. Merlin specialises in scientific illustration, and currently holds the post of Medical Illustrator in Residence at Guy’s Pathology Museum, Kings College, London. She has lectured internationally and taught at numerous art colleges, schools and universities across the UK. Selected previous clients include Tate Modern, The British Library, The Design Museum, Central Saint Martins, NHS, John Lewis, Bloomsbury Books, Latitude Festival and Time Out. Read our Q&A with Merlin.
Feedback from Merlin's previous courses:
"Merlin was a fantastic tutor and managed to fit in a load of content without it feeling rushed. Thanks!"
"The tutor was fantastic – very focused, helpful, engaging and enthusiastic."
"Merlin you were a fantastic tutor; clear, inspiring and supportive. I found the course a great fit for what I was hoping to achieve and am quietly confident I’ll be making time for the pleasures of illustration in weekly living from hereon-in. Thank you."
Course dates and booking:
This course runs for 4 weeks: Mondays 11 January – 1 February 2021, 6.30-8.30pm GMT.
The price refers to the whole course, not individual sessions. This course is for those aged 18+ only.
IMPORTANT: Your ticket confirmation will go to the email address linked to your Paypal account. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
Any questions? Please check our FAQs.