Hone your practical drawing and painting skills on this exciting new course for beginners and improvers.
Covering tone, contrast and character, you'll get a thorough grounding in drawing and painting: those two essential ingredients for successful children's illustration from experienced illustrator and tutor Claire Alexander.
Please note that this course focuses on creating images and does not cover narrative, layout or book creation.
During the course you will:
- Improve your observational drawing by learning about light source, tone and contrast.
- Learn how to bring drawings from referential source material to life.
- Develop convincing human characters from figure drawings.
- Find your own style of depicting facial features, bodily proportions and expressions.
- Create striking compositions that make your characters 'pop'.
- Learn how to enhance the storytelling, atmosphere and drama in your imagery.
- Gain a greater understanding of how to choose colour and use texture to convey meaning.
- Experiment with a range of artistic media.
- An A3 sketch pad
- An A2 portfolio to carry work in (e.g. a transparent plastic one)
All other materials provided by House of Illustration.
About the tutor:
Claire Alexander is an author/illustrator based in London. She recently completed two book collaborations with writer Sean Taylor, illustrating Humperdink Our Elephant Friend and The Snowbear. Other recent books include The Best Bit of Daddy’s Day, Millie Shares and Monkey and the Little One. The latter was shortlisted for the 2015 Junior Design Awards and listed as one of the top ten best new picture books of the year by the Independent Book Sellers Association.
A previous book Back to Front and Upside Down, dealing with the subject of dyslexia, won an American Library Association award in 2013. Other titles include Small Florence, Lost in the Snow, That’s When I knew and Lucy & the Bully, which also won an award in the US. Claire studied Fine Art at the Kent Institute of Art and Design and has a BA honors degree in Painting. She studied Illustration at Putney School of Art and has been teaching her own picture book courses for over ten years.
"Very well planned and thought out. Felt a good sense of progression as each lesson built on the last. Very inspiring and really enjoyed it!" Student on one of Claire's previous courses
Running on Thursdays for 6 weeks from 7 November to 19 December, from 7-9.30pm.
The price refers to the whole course, not individual sessions.