Start developing your own individual aesthetic at this online masterclass with fashion illustrator Montana Forbes.
Montana will guide you through different mark-making techniques, methods and approaches in order to create the key elements of strong fashion illustration: form, line and colour.
You’ll focus on utilising contrast, playing with positive and negative space and abstracting masculine and feminine shapes in order to effectively convey body, garment, silhouette and texture.
During this masterclass you will:
- Explore and experiment with mark-making in fashion illustration.
- Discover ways to maximise a fashion illustration’s impact.
- Use personal style to create unique fashion illustrations.
- Create a fashion illustration from a brief through to a finished product.
- Learn to work with creative limitations and accentuate your strengths and skills.
How the masterclass works:
- The live online masterclass will take place on Zoom.
- Participants will receive handouts a week before the masterclass and login details the day before – these will be sent to the email address linked to your Paypal account so please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
You will need:
- A4 white, black and coloured card
- A3 white paper
- Pencils and coloured pencils
- Black and coloured markers
- Scissors and glue stick
- Fashion, lifestyle and nature magazines
- White, black and coloured chalk (optional)
- Ink and watercolours (optional)
- Pieces of fabric (optional)
You’re encouraged to dress for the occasion or bring along a favourite accessory.
Experience: No prior experience needed.
About the tutor:
Montana Forbes has been a fashion, beauty and lifestyle illustrator for 15 years, working in collage, sketching and Photoshop. Clients include the BBC, Filofax and The National Costume Museum in Berlin. She studied Visual Communication with an interdisciplinary focus on art history, photography and graphic design. She is on the board of the Association of Illustrators and a member of our Pathways Advisory Group. Read our Q&A with Montana.
Feedback from Montana’s previous masterclasses:
“I loved studying with the wonderful fashion illustrator Montana Forbes at House of Illustration.”
“I wanted to thank you again: I have just moved to London and it's simply amazing to be able to take part in a workshop like this. Thank you for your time and for sharing your experience and knowledge.”
“I would rank her as one of the best illustrators we have ever had.” Elle Japan
Course date and booking:
This masterclass takes place on Saturday 20 February 2021, 1-5pm GMT. This masterclass is for those aged 18+ only.
IMPORTANT: Your ticket confirmation will go to the email address linked to your Paypal account. Please email email@example.com from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
Any questions? Please check our FAQs.