As an artist, educator and nun, it's no surprise that Corita Kent had more than a few things to say about life and art. Here are some things to keep in mind as you get stuck in to our new creative activities and resources.
1. “Doing and making are acts of hope, and as that hope grows we stop feeling overwhelmed by the troubles of the world. We remember that we – as individuals and groups – can do something about those troubles.”
2. “When we talk about the commonplace, we don’t mean the un-worthwhile, but just simply that there is lots of it.”
3. “We have no art. We do everything as well as we can.”
4. “We appreciate when somebody sings well, we appreciate when someone thinks well but I wonder if we could appreciate those who feel well, really feel things like pain. The things he’s feeling may be ugly but the fact that he can feel it is a beautiful thing.”
5. “We can all talk, we can all write and if the blocks are removed, we can all draw and paint and make things."
6. “Not all of us are painters but we are all artists. Each time we fit things together we are creating – whether it is to make a loaf of bread, a child, a day.”
7. “To dream about painting and not also to work at it doesn’t ever bring about a painting. To dream about creating a new world that is not teetering on the edge of total destruction and not to work at it doesn’t make a peaceful world.”
8. “Creating and analysing are different processes and can’t be done at the same time.”
9. “Limitation is what differentiates a flood from a lake. In the making of things, limitations allow you to choose from something rather than everything.”
10. “The hard times, too, are part of the creative process; for example when I can’t sleep at night or lose the meaning of what it’s all about. It can be a time of drudgery – a dirty, collecting time when I sharpen pencils or clear work space, but we know that somehow these things are necessary.”
Feeling inspired? Download our creative activities and resources and share your work using the hashtag #IllustrationInHouse and tagging us @illustrationHQ.