Respond to a real-life editorial illustration brief at this fun, inspiring and experiential online masterclass with Joanna Layla.
Whether you’re a keen beginner or an illustrator looking to build an editorial portfolio, get a taste of the editorial illustration process from beginning to end, tackling everything from composition, drafting and layout to working with art directors.
This structured session will use case studies and examples from Joanna’s own body of published editorial work to inform a series of hand-drawn illustration exercises and introduce new techniques.
During this masterclass you will:
- Learn key techniques for creating striking editorial images.
- Get real-life practical experience and knowledge.
- Work through helpful exercises to develop and refine your editorial illustrations.
- Build a series of works to add to your portfolio.
- Leave with valuable tips and advice to help you develop further.
How the masterclass works:
- The live online masterclass will take place on Zoom.
- Participants will receive handouts a week before the masterclass and login details the day before – these will be sent to the email address linked to your Paypal account so please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
You will need:
- At least 6 sheets of A4 drawing/rough paper
- At least 5 sheets of A3/A4 watercolour/cartridge paper
- Black card
- Coloured paper (optional)
- Pencils in a range of weights
- Coloured pencils/conte/pastels/inks (as available)
- Black ink
- Watercolour set
- Water pot
- Brushes in a range of sizes
- Drawing quill (optional)
- Collage materials (optional)
This masterclass will focus on hand-drawn techniques but you’re welcome to use any other materials or technology you’d like to for the final artwork.
Experience: No prior experience needed.
About the tutor:
Joanna Layla is an editorial illustrator working across digital and print platforms on a range of themes, from Jeanette Winterson’s fiction to the Calais Jungle. She currently has a solo exhibition on in Sweden and will have her debut London solo show in 2021. She is particularly passionate about fashion and was a featured illustrator on Fashion Scout during London Fashion Week 2020. She has run editorial illustration workshops for magazines and institutions including Central Saint Martins and London College of Fashion. Fida has named her One to Watch in 2021.
Feedback from Joanna’s previous masterclasses:
“I had an absolutely wonderful experience at the workshop. It helped me develop by exploring different approaches. I found the support highly encouraging and enriching. Thanks so much!”
“Such an expressive teacher, imparting so much knowledge and energy.”
IMPORTANT: Your ticket confirmation will go to the email address linked to your Paypal account. Please email email@example.com from your contact email address if this is different to the one linked to your Paypal account.
Any questions? Please check our FAQs.