On this course, you will learn how to create picture books for 0-6 year olds with contemporary market appeal. As both a professional author and illustrator, Claire is uniquely placed to teach both writing and illustration.
Although creating a whole dummy book is beyond the scope of a single course, these sessions will be instrumental in inspiring you with new ideas, introducing you to relevant literary and artistic techniques and equipping you with the commercial know-how to make a success of your project.
As well as benefiting from Claire’s expert guidance, you’ll have access to our House of Illustration exhibition galleries, a rich source of visual and conceptual inspiration.
During the course you will:
- Gain an overview of the market and get advice on getting published.
- Learn how to create stories with convincing characters.
- Experiment with a range of appropriate artistic mediums.
- Explore narrative themes, structures and writing styles.
- Learn how to storyboard a book with compelling layouts.
- Learn how to make a dummy book to send to publishers.
- Receive one-to-one and group feedback on your work.
- Get free entry to the House of Illustration galleries for the duration of the course.
- Be offered the opportunity to enrol on Claire’s intermediate level evening course where you can develop your book idea further and present it to a visiting publisher and agent at the end of the course.
About the tutor:
Claire Alexander is an author/illustrator based in London. She recently completed two book collaborations with writer Sean Taylor, illustrating Humperdink Our Elephant Friend and The Snowbear. Other recent books include The Best Bit of Daddy’s Day, Millie Shares and Monkey and the Little One. The latter was shortlisted for the 2015 Junior Design Awards and listed as one of the top ten best new picture books of the year by the Independent Book Sellers Association. A previous book Back to Front and Upside Down, dealing with the subject of dyslexia, won an American Library Association award in 2013. Other titles include Small Florence, Lost in the Snow, That’s When I knew and Lucy & the Bully, which also won an award in the US. Claire studied Fine Art at the Kent Institute of Art and Design and has a BA honors degree in Painting. She studied Illustration at Putney School of Art and has been teaching her own picture book courses for over ten years.
Tuesdays 23 April – 2 July 2019 from 7-9.30pm (no class during half term on 28 May)
For more information, please download the document below.